MaPaw Siberian Husky Rescue

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Magaversary

Today is a happy day, Puppies. Today is the anniversary of my adoption day! In celebration of joining my family, I will share with you all the story of Magnum.
big, handsome lug of a HuskyLong, long ago (three years ago) in a far off land (a two minute drive from here) I completed my Roads Scholarship and joined my foster family at MaPaw. Siberians are an adaptable breed and we do not have long memories, so I cannot tell you how I ended up on the road, but I can tell you it is not easy to find a comfy couch out there. I stayed with my foster mama and papa for two years waiting for someone to want me, but nobody did. I guess I was too big or too slow moving or too easy going. It is true I am not a typical Siberian. At MaPaw events, the junior volunteers helped me demonstrate how cuddly I am, but it was to no avail.fuzzy cuddlebugMeanwhile, Mama and Papa wanted to foster homeless dogs and they heard about MaPaw from a neighbor who volunteers. Papa and Bailey had lived with a roommate who had a Siberian. Mama had lived with two Cairn Terriers, a Golden Retriever, a Rottweiler, and a Newfoundland, but never a Siberian. After Ananya turned one-year-old, Mama talked to the vet to get her thoughts about fostering. The vet advised Mama to get Bordatella vaccines for Bailey and Ananya and keep an eye out to make sure they did not get too stressed by all the foster dogs arriving and leaving.


After they began fostering, Mama and Papa kept hearing about a giant Husky. Other volunteers would learn that they live with two giant dogs and say, "Oh, you should meet our giant Husky, Magnum. He's been with MaPaw for two years." Of course they could not wait to meet me. They called my foster mama and papa and asked to meet the giant Husky. At first, they were not thinking about adopting me, they just wanted to take me for walks in the park with their foster dog, Chena, but then they got to know me for the fuzzy, cuddly boy that I am.
bounding homeOn May 12th, 2006, Mama and Papa walked to my foster home and took me for a walk that led to my new home. During my first week as a part of the family, we took a trip to the beach to celebrate. I bounced and played with my new big brother Bailey, who takes care of all the dogs here and my new baby sister Ananya, who is sweet and fluffy. Bailey, 7-yr-old Rottie

Ananya, 2-yr-old Newfie
Mama and Papa saw my potential to be a wonderful representative of MaPaw success and took me to training class, where I learned Sit, Down, Stay, Come, and Heel. At the end of class I had an exam and earned a Canine Good Citizen title, making me Magnum, CGC.

learning hard After all that fun and hard work, I decided I wanted to help other dogs looking for homes and began volunteering for the rescue that once took care of me. Now I foster other homeless Huskies and help socialize them. Sometimes I go to events to educate people about my breed and about all the wonderful dogs of every breed who are looking for homes.working hardI am glad I hung around waiting for the right family. My foster mama said she almost decided to keep me for herself, especially since no one else wanted me, but she is glad I have found a family with whom I can thrive and who lives close enough that she can visit often.happy at home Happy day for me!

10 Comments:

Blogger The Daily Echo said...

Happy Magaversary! We just knew you'd find a good forever home! Who knew you'd turn out to be the little guy in the family?
ECHO

9:51:00 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Happy Magaversery! I remember that day and you walking away so vividly. You were so happy and I was crying, both from already missing you and being so proud for you. You will always have a special spot in my heart (and a bagel nearby)

Love Ya Big Guy!
Kathy

2:34:00 PM  
Blogger One Little Birdie said...

Happy Magaversery! That's an awesome story, Magnum. You are a definate keeper.

10:17:00 PM  
Blogger The Army of Four said...

Ha roooooooooooo! Happy Magaversary!!! What a great story - we are all so, so very glad you are in your furever home!! MaPaw ROCKS! Thanks for all the volunteer work you do for them. Who could ask for a snugglier ambassador?!!?
Tail wags from your fellow Roads Scholar,
Storms

2:23:00 PM  
Blogger The Army of Four said...

Woo, Magnum! I tagged you in the Tummy Tag thing. Please stop by our blog for de-tails.
Luv,
Dave

11:06:00 AM  
Blogger MaPaw said...

Echo - I just had to find a home full of big, slow dogs where I could belong.

Foster Mama - I would like a bagel. You know they do not give me bagels here.

Denise - Thanks. I am partial to this story myself.

A04 - I love working for MaPaw because I can give back to the rescue that saved me. I am definitely the most snuggly volunteer.

2:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Magaversary! I am so happy you found your home...where you belong. What a great story!
Hugs, Sitka

9:25:00 AM  
Blogger The Brat Pack said...

Happy Magaversary!!

You really are a hero to help out all the other dogs, we salute you!

The Brat Pack

3:19:00 PM  
Blogger Peanut said...

Happy Magaversery. That is a great story.

7:08:00 AM  
Blogger Khady Lynn said...

What a wonderful story!! And a very Happy Magnaversery to you! It is so great to find a furever home isn't it? I am so glad my humans found me, or I would be dead by now. And Kelsey's mom is sure glad my human saved him, cuz he is the love of her life!!! If mom hadn't rescued him, he would also be dead. And Shula would have suffered the same fate when mom decided to adopt her at age 13 1/2!!! She lived to be 16 and mom was so happy to have given her such a wonderful last few years.

Rescue is a very gratifying thing. I believe there is a special place in heaven for those who rescue ANY unwanted and unloved, or lost doggie!! God bless your family and all in MaPaw and other rescue too!!

Holly

10:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home