MaPaw Siberian Husky Rescue

Monday, February 19, 2007

Jasper Update

Hi Puppies, Magnum here to update you all on Jasper's progress. After two weeks and several cheeseburgers Jasper gained three pounds, bringing him up to 40 pounds, which is enough to begin heartworm treatment. He spent Thursday night at the vet's office and has been very sick since then. The vet also found intestinal worms and began treatment for those so Jasper should not have so much trouble gaining weight now. Mama said he is not getting any more cheeseburgers now, just kibble, chicken, and rice. I got some chicken and rice in my kibble too, so I am a pretty happy boy. As you can see, Jasper and I have warmed up to each other. Mama says when he was fussy with me it was just because he was sick and scared about living in a new pack, so I am trying to be understanding. Since the vet visit Jasper spends all his time sleeping. He is taking some medicine to help him cough less and we are running a humidifier in the kitchen where he spends most of his time. His fur, which was very crunchy when he first arrived, is getting a little softer now. He needs a lot of rest now, but we are all hoping he begins to feel better soon.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Army of Four said...

Hi Magnum! I'm so happy to hear Jasper is doing better! How long will the heartworm treatment take? He will be in our prayers!!!
You are very sweet to understand that Jasper was hurting a lot and that's why he was a bit "fussy", like you said. I'll bet you two end up being really good friends!
Keep us posted - oh, and we're REALLY glad you got some chicken and rice! Isn't that YUMMY!?!?
Love,
Amber

12:35:00 PM  
Blogger Nessa Happens said...

What a wonderful story is Jasper's! My mama belongs to newf.net and they recently rescued and found a home for a croatian tornjak - it's incredible how much work and how many people it takes to transport and rehome a single rescue dog.

Every success story is a blessing, but they remind me of all the other dogs still in cages in shelters. It makes my mama furious when she thinks of all the people who abandon their pets.

"You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -- Antoine De Saint-Exupery.

10:15:00 AM  
Blogger Foster Dogs said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:28:00 PM  
Blogger Foster Dogs said...

Ooops, had a typo in my comment! Glad Jasper is feeling better and that you got some chicken too!

1:28:00 PM  
Blogger MaPaw said...

Ao4, chicken and rice is SO yummy! Heartworm treatment takes a long time. Jasper goes for a second treatment in 30 days and it will be a few months after that before he recovers completely. All this can be prevented with a monthly chewy medicine treat.

Nanook, I had to Google "Croatian Tornjak." I can see how they would end up in Newf rescue. We are never bored in rescue, that is certain.

HTHNBR, thanks! It is the best of both worlds.

7:34:00 PM  
Blogger One Little Birdie said...

Hi, Guys! I'm so glad I finally got to meet you all in person today. Too bad I was so silly and fell on my butt while I was there (shh.. don't tell anybody). Take good care of Maximus for us. I'm glad to hear that Jasper is feeling better - I'd feel beter too with cheeseburgers. Jasper is a very sweet guy and now he has a big buddy with one eye just like him. Maybe Maximus will play interference for ya!

3:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home